Friday, January 29, 2010

A guest post: Gender & climbing

Hi, my name is Kegan Allee and I'm a PhD student in Sociology at the University of California in Santa Barbara. My dissertation combines two great loves of mine: gender studies and climbing. I'm looking for female climbers to interview for my research. I'm trying to get as many different perspectives as possible with respect to experience, level of climbing, etc. I'm particularly interested in how women use their bodies and their perspectives on risk taking. The interviews, which have been lasting between 1-2 hours, have all been conducted in person so far, but I am open to doing phone interviews as well. I can drive to meet people as well. My goal is to produce scholarship that will be interesting to both the climbing community and the academic world, and which explores the similarities as well as differences between female and male climbers. Please feel free to send me an email (allee at umail dot ucsb dot edu) if you are interested in participating in my research or if you'd simply like more information about my project. Thanks in advance!

Note from the editor ... ahem ... Teri: I did my interview with Kegan this week, and it was fun and got me thinking about all sorts of interesting stuff! I highly recommend the experience, and I'm happy to discuss it if anyone has questions. I should point out that you may choose to remain anonymous (or have a pseudonym) in the reporting of the results, and that Kegan will run the transcript by you, to ensure it meets with your approval and that nothing you said has been misconstrued.

3 comments:

  1. Hiya,

    I am female climber. I am keen to participate in your study. I live in New Zealand. But we can work out skype or something else. Please email me and let me know what you think. shiva.nami@gmail.com


    Cheers,
    Shiva

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there.

    I am very interested in Kegan's study and sent an email to the afore-mentioned address. Unfortunately, it was returned and a failure to deliver.

    Is there another way to get in touch?

    Thanks
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Amy, my apologies. I initially had the wrong email listed for Kegan. That has been corrected. Please give it another try.
    Thanks!
    Teri

    ReplyDelete